Saturday, September 12, 2015

Blisters, Diarrhea and Some Dude's Head

My name tag
So to start I´m going to apologize for the lack of pictures this week. I cannot send pics of me and my teachers because they are on PDay as well, so it´ll have to be next week (if at all). I also tend to share my packages with the roommates so all I would have for that picture is two Cherry Doctor Peppers. But I will send a pic of my name tag as requested, a few others, and anything else you want to see.

I really appreciate your questions because they give me stuff to write about hahaha. Please send as many as you want!

*I do not have permission currently to print out anything on the CCM printers, but once in the field I think I will be able to.
*If you would like to use the picture of me with the map for my plaque, you may, or I can take a different one. You are the one who has to look at the plaque every Sunday for the next two years, not me!
*Healthwise, I could be better. I´ve had diarrhea for the past 6 days in a row now...about 3-6 times a day and they only have awful 1/16 ply TP. I took my anti diarrhea pills last night and it helped!
All of the Rancagua bound Chileans in my District!!!

Our Classroom




*Funny story about the clothes, I don´t think I ever told you but the black shoes gave me the worst blisters I have ever had in my life. I don´t have to use bandaids or moleskin now (I used all of the bandaids in my firstaid kit lol), but I still have tons of dead blister skin gross stuff on my heels. Other than that, my clothes work pretty well. I splashed and stained a few shirts, but the tide stick got most of it out. I wear my brown shoes a lot more than I wear my black shoes, and I think its mostly because I have PTSD from the blister experience.
some dude's head

PS Elder O´Barr wants you to know that his sister´s name is Tamara, which is kind of close

UnPS, this week was a rather boring and uneventful week, but I will try to make it sound cooler than it really was. Last Thursday I was reading in Nephi and I came accross a scripture that I thought was interesting. In it, Nephi was praying and he committed himself and the rest of his life to the Lord, which I thought was interesting for him to say outloud because he was already a prophet at the time...but anyway I thought about it a lot and decided it was my turn to dedicate myself to the Lord so in a long prayer that night I prayed and told the Lord that I wanted to dedicate my entire life and being to him. Even now, as I write this, He is letting me know that he is proud of me through the Spirit. That was also the night that I realized that I needed to pray more sincerely in all of my prayers and my dedication has grown immensely since then. Fast Sunday I fasted that I would be able to quickly become an effective missionary through grasping the language quickly, recognizing and teaching by the Spirit, and also strengthening my testimony of the gospel. I´ve been reading the scriptures a lot more lately and now I study about 45 mins to an hour each day. We also had a great devotional about the enabling power of the Atonement that day. Then we watched meet the Mormons (we watch an approved church video every Sunday). It was my second time seeing it and I, again, wasn´t very impressed. Oh well.

The next day, Monday, Day 27, we were in the computer lab to work on TALL (our computerized interactive language study thing) and Elder Burgess fell asleep. We tried to wake him up, but he didn´t wake up, so we decided it would be funny to leave him in there alone, hide around the corner, and have someone else in the room next door wake him up for us. When he finally found us, he speed walked up to his companion, Elder O´Barr and got really mad at him. I thought he was about to hit him! But he took him inside to scold him about leaving his companion instead. While they were in there, Elder Hinton, Elder King, Elder Pemberton, and I walked away so that Burgess wouldn´t yell at us too. 

On Tuesday, Day 28, O´Barr and I sang in the choir again. It was the EFY Medley that everybody loves, but in spanish. Both of us sang with our zippers down again, just for fun lol. Yesterday was rather uneventful. The first line in my journal for Day 29 (I go by what day I´m on) is ´´Today was rather ok.´´ That was pretty much my whole week, too. 

I've found Jesus, have you?
Life at the CCM is different than I expected. It was interesting to see just how hard you have to try to have the spirit with you at all times. Its interesting how you can´t get away from all the crude jokes and humor, even in an establishment full of Mormons. I have learned that through prayer, I can become spiritually oblivious to such things. My testimony on the power of prayer has grown a lot since I got here.  My testimony in general has grown a lot since I got here. I know that God is my loving Heavenly Father. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer, and it is only through his Atonement  that we can be saved. I know that Joseph Smith was called of God to restore His church and be a prophet. I know that he truly did restore the Book of Mormon and that it is truly the word of God. I know that God has called a prophet today, and his name is Thomas S. Monson. I know all these things to be true in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I love you and miss you all.

Love,
Elder Sayler

3 comments:

  1. I seem to have issues with sending comments, I write you and push send. Sometimes it goes and sometimes not,it disappears.
    Any way, I'll try again, you may end up with duplicate messages­čśČI am sorry to hear about the diarrhea and blisters but missed something about some dude's head? I enjoy hearing about your spiritual growth, you are an inspiration to me. Have you had opportunities to go house to house and share the gospel? If yes, what was it live

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas, sorry to hear about you feet and your "intestinal discomforts". That dude's head is an Olmec sculpture (or maybe a copy). The Olmecs may be the name of the Jaredites since they inhabited the same area at about the same time.. You will find it so exciting to "liken the scriptures to yourself" and you will see how the Nephites and the others lived in those lands that you are not far from. Best wishes to you and we will keep you in our prayers. If you need a care package how can we send it?

    The Wunsch Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elder, I love reading your blog. Thank-you so much for sharing! I hope you're feeling better. Why are you sick? Is that normal?

    ReplyDelete